Monday, April 27, 2009

American Gladiators: Nitro's Book–Contestant's Review


In 1989 I had just won my first bodybuilding show, Ms. San Luis Obispo, and a friend of mine told me about a show called American Gladiators (Hosts: Todd Christensen and Mike Adamle.
My response was "what the heck is that?  So as a "dare" I headed to LA, where I waited in line with 10,000 other people.  I remember standing there and saying this is "stupid" and almost left a few times.  Hours later I entered the tri-outs which were timed pull-ups, crossing the goal line with a football, power ball, and a taped interview.  Later I found out that 12 of us made it on the show!  So in January, 1990, there I was at 
Universal Studios ready to compete against the GLADIATORS–of which I only had to face Lace, Gold, Blaze, and Zap!  For the men they were to encounter Gemini, Titan, Laser, and Nitro!  








It was an awesome show and I had the best time! 
More of the show on You Tube!











Speaking of Nitro, here he is with my daughter, Nicole, when she was only 7!  
Pic to the right is Nicole with Blaze, Gemini, and Lace!  












Back in February I found out that Nitro, Dan Clark, had written a book–Gladiator: A True Story of 'Roids, Rage, and Redemption.  Dan sent me a copy and I had the honor of reviewing it for Blog Critics–posted live today!  

EXCERT FROM THE REVIEW: 
Since I was a competitor on American Gladiators, competing against the original Gladiators, I was excited to get my copy of Gladiator: A True Story of 'Roids, Rage, and Redemption. Plus I love true stories and this is a story about someone I knew, Dan Clark AKA "Nitro". In fact there were many people he wrote about in this book that brought back fond memories.  

It's a story about an athlete, a son, brother, and father — about a man (testosterone and all) and a message. It is a gripping book that you will want to read in just one sitting, as I did.

Check out Blog Critics to see the entire review!  

Congrats to Dan for a great book!   

No comments:

Post a Comment